Sunday, July 27, 2008

Summer is ....





Our summer is complete! Nothing makes it seem like summer until you've had your fill of these. Growing up in New England, summer memories always revolved around plastic bibs, metal crackers, melted butter and cold beer (well, no beer as a child). Clam shacks and lobster joints from Narragansett, Rhode Island to Cape Cod, Massachusetts to Ogunquit, Maine - the memory of summer comes flooding back each time we enjoy another lobster feast.


We had our lobster dinner last night. First one all summer and it was delicious. Perfectly steamed, with sweet corn on the cob and loads of dripping butter.


If you don't live close or plan a trip to New England, you can still enjoy the experience any time of year with this or host your own clambake on your patio. I promise you will not be disappointed. What food or meal reminds you of summer??

7 comments:

huddtoo said...

Oddly, I'm not a big fan of lobster. But, I love crab legs, shrimp, scallops and loads of other seafood.

I'll do crab legs and all the corn on the cob I can eat. hehe I'll just send my hubby to your house for the lobster feast...mmmmk. ;)

I am on the hunt for fresh local corn on the cob. We all love it. It's not ready just yet here though.

amers said...

i am not a seafood girl...however summer foods that are my favorite...peaches, corn on the cob and ice cream!!

Catherine said...

Sounds like we all love that corn on the cob! F, it's just beginning to be good around here - love local August corn! Yum...and of course, Ames, ice cream! Not a fan of the peaches though - the fuzzy skin creeps me out. I do like a juicy nectarine though...now I am hungry!

Hawaiianatheart said...

DH took me to Maine just to get *Fresh* Lobster a few years back. Well, not just to get lobster but still that was a *must do* on our list. While we both liked it we did not go gaga over it. Yet I love other shellfish. Go figure!

My favorite summer foods: Watermelon, homemade ice cream, potato salad, strawberries and corn on the cob.

Victoria said...

Mmmm....crab legs at the Calabash buffet at our coast. I've gotten 'em on three separate trips this year since Memorial Day...one more to go. Yummy.

Jennifer said...

*waving hello*

I miss you, friend. *sigh*. I can't wait to hear all of the new house details. Hope all is well!

Angela DeRossett said...

Hmmm...summer meals... anything on the grill. Steak, chicken, sausage...paired with salads of all kinds..watermelon!