Thursday, May 8, 2008

Paper or Plastic?

I am an organizing junkie – or rather, a purchaser and reader of everything “organizational and time management related”. My problem is that I haven’t really gotten my system on auto pilot. A few years ago, a friend and business coach turned me onto David Allen’s “Getting Things Done”. It was the first book I had ever read that really made a lot of sense to me – for both personal and professional use - and I even went out and bought all the files and folders and attempted to start my system. The problem for me is that I haven’t really found out whether I am better with paper or “techno” – (what I am deeming plastic). I have both. I use both. I actually like them both for different reasons. And using both still mean I am still disorganized.

Buying a new house and getting our current house ready for market (especially a “down” market) has opened a “spring cleaning” door wide open. The need to set goals, purge, file, sort and delegate is a new daily chore. I feel invigorated and overwhelmed at the same time. I dug out my David Allen book combined with my Peter Walsh book – and I am on a mission.

If you are not familiar with either book, I will share the concepts with you over the next few posts. Are you ready to “Get things Done” along with me?

I’d love to hear how you keep your life organized and get things done. Please share your favorite tips.

3 comments:

huddtoo said...

I have a franklin planner that I like. I like to have the binder to carry around. And mostly because I don't use my home computer for anything but surfing and tallying up the damage our new house will cost, we don't print from it, use email, have calendars, etc. So, I have all appts and notes in my planner. I only use my calendar at work for work meetings and things.

But, I've never been busy enough to need a planner with me at all times. I don't carry it with me. I don't want a blackberry or palm pilot. It's probably because I'm sick of looking at that stuff at work (when it's broken no less and trying to fix them), I don't care to look at it when I'm home. :)

Catherine said...

Thanks Fran - I have to say that I have become quite addicted to my *crackberry* but mostly b/c I can read, respond and delete emails while I sit and commute or wait in carpool lines. It has helped me tremendously both personally and professionally. I do put it down though for a few hours each night so the kids get my full attention. *and....I will admit to sleeping with it beside me for those nights when I can't sleep* Hmmm, sounds like I have a problem, right?

Hawaiianatheart said...

I have that Peter Walsh book.....somewhere! ; ) Ken, my resident Hoarder wants ME to read it. Like I'm suppose to *fix* him. LOL

I can so relate here! We are STILL trying to get stuff sorted, purged and out of the old house. 4 months after buying the new house. My savings accout really needs us to get on the ball. It's harder than it seems it should be but with our hectic schedules fitting such things in are difficult at best.

I'm definitly a more techno organizer. I live by my Palm. If it ain't there then it doesn't exist. I used to be that with with my day planner but now I live by the Palm.