Thursday, May 8, 2008

Multi-task no more!

Any mother could perform the jobs of several air traffic controllers with ease. ~Lisa Alther



One of the reasons it is so hard for me to be productive (other than I am exhausted) is that I have mastered the skill of multi-tasking. Some say that women are natural instinctive multi-taskers and we notice it more when our children are born. We can breastfeed a baby while typing on the computer and mentally making the grocery list. We know who needs to be where and when and we manage to always get the seasonally appropriate clothing in the drawers every few months in the right sizes – while remembering birthdays, anniversaries, school book fairs and the latest budget projections at work. Now, studies are showing that multi-tasking does not actually make you work faster or save time – that it is often better to concentrate on the task at hand.


My three children are getting older and their schedules are getting more complicated and hectic. I hear this is just the beginning of years of “running around” juggling activities. My business is getting busier (a good thing, yes) but I now find myself forgetting a lot of things that I used to be able to keep in my head. Not to mention that my brain is also aging. So, I quickly made my way back to David Allen’s “Getting Things Done” or GTD.

I will not profess to be an expert on GTD but I do know that there are a few key tips that can be applied by anyone to make their life more productive. One of the greatest lessons for me has been the “capture” of information/data in a centralized place (or inbox) other than in *my* head. Think of all the information bullets you dodge each hour of the day – emails, voicemails, school reminder notes, invitations, camp forms, reference materials, newspaper articles (that you hope to read one day), bills, receipts, recipes, hotel confirmation number – the list is endless and it never ends!


So – the first step is to get it all out of your head. All the "stuff" that is clogging up your brain trying to remember. Write down everything that you are thinking about – things you need to do now or later or maybe even some day. Things you need to find a place for or get rid of. Things you are worried about forgetting. DA calls it “brainstorming”. My list includes things like send boys birthday invite, get plane tickets for business trip next week, purchase additional smoke detector, purchase mulch, deposit check, update work website, update marketing list, go back to Ireland……see, it’s everything.


Put it all down. Clear your mind. I am going to work on generating that list tonight and hope to get a restful night of sleep. I’ll check back with the next step.

Care to join me?

8 comments:

huddtoo said...

My mom was a list maker. And atop every.single.list she ever made was: 1. Make list

That way she always had something to cross off! Hey it made her feel good. ;)

I use lists too, but more because if I don't write it down I'll end up forgetting. I always have running lists for various stores we go to in the kitchen. I have "honey-do" lists for my hubby or he'd NEVER remember anything.

I do agree that a mom can keep a million things in her head and schedules and birthdays and various other things, but she can easily forget to get "X" from the grocery store unless she writes it down. Odd, ey.

I'll join you. We are in the midst of a very busy summer, so I could use the help.

Oh, by the way, I see you seem to be taking to the blog, you post a lot! ;) See, Jen got ya hooked and you like it. hehe

Catherine said...

I Love it! 1. Make list! I have to remember that one.

I am sure we can help each other along. Kind of a challenge of sorts. Remember the early days of losing baby weight on our board and "homework" check in. Well, this will be another challenge! Glad you are up for joining me.

My list is started and I even bought a brand new cute notebook to capture all my thoughts, ideas, list items. Oh, and it's made on recycled paper too - so I am keeping green!

On my list; keep blogging and buy cloth napkins. See, I learn from all of you all the time.

Oh, and put 2. bring camera on your list....LOL!

amers said...

i love that you've become such the blogger. if it's like the minivan it will take me a few years!
i often think of a photo blog (like aliki's saturday pursuits) but only doing photos, but i'm not happy with my photos lately...
in the meantime i LOVE reading all the blogs - still keeps us connected.
i will enjoy this organizational journey - for sure it's that time of the year!
i do have questions...
how often do you sync up that crackberry of yours? so taht you don't lose anything? is it your phone as well?
i think that's it for now.but count me in on your journey.

happy moms day!

Catherine said...

Hi A - I miss you so! As for the BB - yes, its my phone also. I am completely connected via work and home thru email - so having it with me all day helps me keep up and not have hundreds of emails to go through at the end of day. I do make it a point of not checking it 'like every 5 min" - and I turned off the message indicator for that very reason. I also recently cleaned up the inbox and unsubscribed to all the "junk" that I was getting. Glad you'll be on this spring cleaning journey with me. Now, if we can just get you blogging.

Dawn said...

AGREE!! My boss and I have been through some great coaching programs which call thatstuff buzzing in your head "brain chatter". It really *does* clog the pipes- so to speak.

I always feel a great relief to get those things down and begin to cross them off. Like H's mom, I have to have something to cross off. I even tweaked my Outlook settings so it wouldn't erase the 'done' items so I could get satisfaction for a *day* at least. LOL!

Anxious to hear MORE!

Victoria said...

Loved this, Cari!

Hope all is well.

v.

Victoria said...

Where are you? *smile*

huddtoo said...

V...I was thinking the same thing!!